In April 2020, Kourtney Kardashian took to her way of life weblog Poosh to share the secret to Kim Kardashian’s thick, shiny hair: rice water therapies. From there, the observe—an historical magnificence ritual that dates again to the Heian Period in Japan—went viral on social media. “Rice water for hair development” presently has 106.2 million views on TikTok, whereas an Instagram seek for the #ricewater hashtag brings up practically 60,000 posts full of luscious locks.
And although the remedy remains to be simply gaining traction within the U.S., many components of the world, together with China and Southeast Asia, have lengthy been reaping the advantages of rice water for hair.
Featured picture of Iskra Lawrence by Michelle Nash.
A Few Rice Water Fundamentals
- When rice is cooked or left to soak, the leftover water turns into a starchy substance that might be able to soothe hair, make it shinier, and assist it develop sooner.
- The starchiness of the treatment coats your locks with protein to strengthen strands and add shine.
- Rice is wealthy with folate (a strong B vitamin), amino acids, antioxidants, and hint minerals like zinc and magnesium, all of which can assist deal with the scalp and provides thirsty, brittle hair a wholesome enhance.
- Rice water could assist clean and detangle hair.
More healthy hair may additionally result in stunning growth. “Hairfluencer” Anisa Sojka claims that treating her enviable hair with rice water as soon as every week triggered it to develop three inches in only one month.
With such easy elements—the recipe is, fairly actually, rice and water—even the DIY averse could wish to strive their hand at making the remedy at residence.
Anisa Sojka’s Rice Water Hair Treatment Recipe
*Sojka recommends using the treatment once a week
- 1 cup basmati rice x 3 cups water
Making the Treatment
- Wash the rice, then combine fresh water and rice.
- For five to 10 minutes, rub the rice to ensure all the nutrients seep into the water.
- Sift rice water into a pot. Add an orange peel for a more pleasant smell.
- On low heat, warm up the rice water over the stove for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. (Don’t let it boil.)
- Pour water (with peels) into a container to cool, then place it in a dark space for two to three days to ferment.
Use Rice Water on Hair
- After fermenting, shake the starchy combination and add it to a sprig bottle. (Any remaining rice water could be refrigerated within the fridge for as much as one week.)
- Apply generously everywhere in the scalp and hair.
- Gently however completely therapeutic massage for about one minute. Sojka recommends avoiding utilizing your nails.
- Go away within the remedy for one to a few hours. (Go away it in for not less than 20 minutes in case you’re pressed for time.)
- Within the bathe, pour the remaining rice water over your hair and therapeutic massage for about one minute.
- Shampoo and situation as regular.
One be aware: Whereas it’s a tremendous easy recipe, the remedy does require a little bit of planning. Fortuitously, a number of nice magnificence manufacturers (together with Kiehl’s, OUAI, and Mielle Organics) have included a wholesome dose of rice water into their merchandise in case you favor to chop out the measuring and mess.
Have you ever tried rice water for hair development? Share your outcomes and ideas with us beneath.
This submit was initially printed on September 27, 2021, and has since been up to date.